Thrifty Thursday: Discovering Icon Milo Baughman

A few weeks ago, while out thrifting for night stands for the bedroom makeover, I spotted two amazing chairs mixed in with some others. I was so drawn to them because of their amazing architectural lines and vintage modern style. I walked over to take a closer look and started to inspect them for any damages - especially in the caning. With the exception of the upholstery (which can easily be redone) I stepped away to ask about their price.

 






The kid that came over paused and said, $20 for the pair. I had difficulty containing my joy (hee hee), but I did and we walked back over to his desk so he could write up a ticket. Before he did, I asked, "can you do any better?" (hey - never hurts to ASK!!) and he actually said, OK - $16 for the pair. I couldn't get them loaded in my car fast enough!!! And as I did, I took a quick shot of the tag under one of them. The tag read: Designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin.



After getting them brought into the house ((and actually having to make a trip back up to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up the end tables I also spotted and scored that Saturday)) I did a little research on the designer and the chairs. I learned he designed a LOT more than just these two chairs...
Milo's Bench
Milo's Chrome & Black Glass Dining Table


Milo's Floating Club Chairs

As it turns out, Milo was a pretty fabulous and iconic furniture designer. And I actually may even have another piece of his I didn't realize I had. About two years ago, we had a garage sale, and at the end of it, my (then) neighbor gave me a table she was selling - and I was eyeing [;-)] It was a burled laminate Parson's Ocassional table. I've spotted this table and some other pieces designed my Milo selling on 1st Dibs and other online auctions... 

My gifted table - needs a little TLC.
Does anyone know how to remove scratches from lacqured furniture??




Milo's Table on 1st Dibs


$8500 - $9500



I've now seen these chairs - with and without arms - listed on 1st Dibs and a few other online auction places. I've seen mainly sets of 4 and sets of six, in good condition, selling from dealers, from $2400 to $4800 for the set.

I found the chairs in brass and cream, but this print and chrome is HOT!!



Although Jose does fabulous reupholstery, I'd like to take them to an upholstery place in Miami I learned about while working at Color Splash. It's just a seat cushion and arms, but I think it would be a worth while investment. I'm still stunned over the find, and it just goes to show - Do follow your instincts while out thrifting because you never know what sweet little gem you could discover!

You can read more about the Milo Baughman furniture that will be on AUCTION this weekned in California at LOS ANGELOS MODERN AUCTIONS

I wish I could have hauled away this other chair I spotted about two weeks ago. Eventhough it was selling at thrift for $69, it was still a VERY good deal because I believe, this was another Milo piece - Five button tufted teak recliner. The only difference is in the arms...






The day I spotted the Milo highback cane chairs I got, I also had spotted what appeared to be a version of his floating club chair...




Above are Milo's floating club chairs I saw on 1stDibs selling for $3950


Club chair spotted while out thrifting for $69


It might be a replica, or it might be that someone added the studs to it...
which probably lowered its value...

I loved discovering Milo Ray Baughman, Jr. and learning... he was one of the leading modern furniture designers of the second-half of the 20th century. Milo's uniquely American designs were forward-thinking, distinctive, and affordable for the time. At the age of thirteen, his family built their house and young Milo was handed the task of designing both the interior and exterior - THAT IS pretty amazing! And later on, he was asked by large (North Carolina) furniture manufacturer Drexel to create a major collection, and afterwards, he created "The Milo Baughman Collection" in 1952 for Murray Furniture of Winchendon, Massechusettes. Milo's furniture designs have been displayed in the "High Styles" show at the Whitney Museum of Art in New York, and have also been exhibited in museums and shows throughout the United States. In 1987, Milo Baughman was inducted into the Furniture Designer's Hall of Fame in 1987.





Has this ever happened with you? Have you ever been thrifting, gotten drawn to something, bought it at a god deal, and find out later it was worth far more than what you paid for it? I swear, I felt like Mike Wolfe from American Pickers... except - I'm a Cuban-American Picker, living in lovely South Florida! =)

Happy Thrifting!


8 comments:

  1. Amazing finds! Those chairs are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Beautiful chairs and fantastic find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your local thrift stores are most definitely better than mine! Great post, and beautiful blog you have here! I'm a new follower from a blog hop.


    Chrystal
    www.adornonashoestring.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I love stories like this and thank you for the history lesson. Very interesting. Are you going to keep them or sell them? I got an Arteriors Louis chandelier with the manufacturer's tag still on it for $40. It was marked down to $50 and I asked if they would take $40. It retails for $1,600. Can't wait to see how you recover them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!!! What a crazy find!!! AMAZING!!! I need to google tag names more often!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a find! Love it when people find a bargain. The chairs are gorgeous. Reminds me to look at the bottom of some of these chairs you never know what you might find. :-0
    - Monique

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much!! I appreciate you comments, feedback and knowing the post was inspirational to you!! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! xo

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact, I literally just found some Milo Baughman chairs off a for free Craigslist add. They were moving. When I got there, I saw the chairs, I about died. I loved them! I at that point I didnt know who Milo Baughman was, though I do now!! I am literally just cleaning them up... and cant wait to see what happens! Ps... they are the brass swivel chairs! the pair!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails